Thursday, June 16, 2011

Where to Begin?

Just keep running ......

I have so much to blog about and it goes in phases...nothing happens, no reason to blog unless you want to know how much laundry I did or I sat on the couch and watched Glee...(oh boy I just admitted and put that out there in the blogging world... I have started watching it) and then there are weekends like this one where I have so much I am bursting at the seams. So here it goes, I hope you can keep up!

Saturday June 11th Kicked off our weekend with a 4:45am Wake up call. RACE TIME! it was super hard for Husband to get up, I mean he was not racing he was just the driver and the encourager. . I on the other hand had butterflies in my tummy from that moment on, I jumped out of bed, raced to the shower....encouraged Husband to get moving!!
Arrive at the Hillsboro Stadium / field at 7:00am sign in and register.. I believe as we rounded the corner and saw the runners and the event, I said: "turn around I am going home" - I was serious. He didn't listen to me and parked. We meet up with my Brother in law "Big Mike" and Myah. 


I got my number, I am ready!!! At this point I was focused, I was prepared, I was scared out of my mind ! There were people with camel packs on (if you dont know what they are please do not feel bad I didn't know until that day..) they are basically Fanny packs with water bottles in them or a back pack looking thing with water and a long straw to drink while running! Short shorts, running gear...my "at one point super cool target running brand" failed in comparison to these people! 


Both Big Mike and Myah have ran marathons before! and MOST OF ALL: Trained for this one.
 We stood around for almost an hour! Then it was time, we made our way to the starting line and like any true athletic competition we sang the national anthem and a gun went off....then we walked through the starting line, and  the crowd  and THEN we were off! 

I don't even know what I got my self into at this point!!!!


 

At Mile 5.5 I thought I was going to die, I had focused the entire race to keep positive, to repeat over and over..."you can do this. You are a strong woman" But there came a point when I slowed my pace, and people passed me, SLOWER then people. A man pushing a double stroller passed me...that was NOT FUN. Then a point  that I had pushed my body too much, and just when I slowed down, a lady ran up next to me said "You can do it! you are almost there!!!" I thought I could have cried. I needed that right then. I stepped it up and paced myself behind her and went. As I rounded the last corner and could hear the stadium cheering and knew Husband was there waiting and cheering for me, I ran as fast as I could. Running on turf is wonderful and helped increase my speed, I passed a few people at the last min (always a cool thing) I had made it. My very proud husband was there right at the finish line (which says START, not sure why) waiting and taking my picture. Got a few pictures of me, trying to suck wind (those unfortunately didn't make it on here, they actually didn't even make it into our SAVED photos!! :] ) 

6.4 MILES RAN!!! Came in 59th out of 111 in my age group. Took Me 1:06:07 to complete.And next Time "Mr. Man pushing a double stroller......watch your back I am going to beat you!!"
This was a huge accomplishment for me. I have been wanting to do this for 5 years. I have overcome a lot of nerves and done a lot to get here! I loved every minute of it. I honestly do not know how I did it. but I DID!!!!


Thank you guys for all your support and encouragement! It was a blast and I will do many more. BUT this time I will train for them!

NIC & COLE






2 comments: